Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Reality Check

My apologies to anyone out there who's avoided this blog lately due to all the cheesiness. Reading through some recent posts, I've been on a gag inducing roll lately... I'm lost for an explanation. I don't take back what I said, it was sincere, but there's more to life these days than rainbows and lollipops.
Exhibit A: This is what a 3 year old looks like after a traumatic experience. Church was over on Eden's blessing day and LeRoy, Eden and I joined the train of vehicles driving to our house for a meal. On the way out I said to LeRoy, "We're missing 2 kids." We figured Teah was going with Grandma San, and sadly, that's as far as we got before we were distracted. Once home, we were getting ready to bless the food when the phone rang.
me: "Hello?"
1st Counselor (the one who announced to the ward the Montaño family would be blessing their daughter, Edna): "Hello Sister Montaño. I don't mean to alarm you, I realize you have a lot of people at your house, but your daughter is here at the church."
me: "Oh, I'll be right there!" Aaaah!
I drove to the church and found poor little Havi. Drama queen that she is, she ran into my arms crying. I guess she'd been using a bench as a table to color her pretty picture (kneeling down and out of sight) when she noticed the chapel was empty. She got up and ran to the door, but it was too late.
She has since recovered.
By the way, when LeRoy was blessing Eden, I heard Havi singing, "moving my hips like ya..." She had Mylie on the brain.
The other night, I asked her if she was ready to say prayers before going to bed, and she simply didn't want to. Teah told her she would break Jesus' heart if she didn't say her prayers. Ever since, her prayers have gone like this: "... please bless I won't break Jesus' heart. Please bless I won't make mommy sad. Please bless I won't make Heavenly Father sad..." Poor kid. I'd better start saving for her therapy.
Exhibit B: My child laborer. The other morning, the girls had finished their breakfast and were on to doing chores... the dreaded emptying of the dishwasher. I sat down to have some breakfast, and I overheard this:
Teah: It's like we're her servants.
Havi: I know.
Here's a picture of my 'servant' doing the babysitting for me.
Well, I'd better go see how I can torture Eden tonight.

8 comments:

Lisa said...

Ha!Ha! Your post really made me smile :) Aren't kids a blast :)

Kelsy Alsup said...

is this dad's camera? good picture of teah/eden.

holly said...

thanks. i got a new camera, i'm really liking it.

The Birch Family said...

That is hilarious about them being your servants.

LeLe said...

The whole thing made me laugh, especially the praying about not breaking Jesus' heart and the servant thing. I can't believe your kids put the dishes away. Looks like I need to re-evaluate what chores my kids should be doing. ;)

The Montaño’s said...

Oh my gosh! I laughed out loud at that and now Marin is begging me to tell her why I'm laughing, but I won't. Our mother secrets are safe!!

Mindy said...

Love these kid stories--keep em coming!

Rena said...

Oh my goodness, I haven't look at your blog in a while with life being so busy and all, and BAM! You have a little one, how sweet, Congrats.