Sunday, March 14, 2010

I dream of Mini

Minivans, that is.

Yes, the vehicle of my dreams right now is a minivan.

Ah, the seating space. Ah, the storage capabilities. Ah, the sliding doors... one push of a button and they open!

Before Eden was born, we wondered if three car seats would even fit in the back of our cute little Corolla. Obviously they do, but not without complains daily. Teah can hardly fit her fingers down to buckle herself in her booster. Havi often gets jostled when I close the door. it sometimes takes a couple tries to get it closed. I don't even want to talk about the Kindergarten carpool. all I can say is that it's just a couple blocks on residential roads and I don't go more than 20mph.

I used to have some of those feet stickers on the back of my car window, and they're gone now for a couple reasons--
1. I get it, it's not so cool anymore if it ever was.
2. I really don't want FIVE pairs of toes telling everyone exactly how many Montaños are crammed in this car. if we were closer to Mexico, border patrol might think we're trying to smuggle people across.

I know my generation is supposed to hate minivans with a vengeance, and I used to, but practicality and three car seats have brought me a change of heart. I've exchanged sins- pride for envy. Yes, I now envy all those lucky people out there with sliding doors that open with a push of a button, cargo space, seating for seven or eight... ahhh.

So if you ever see me driving around in a minivan with a HUGE smile on my face, you'll get it. Besides, April drives a minivan, and really, who doesn't want to be like April?

11 comments:

Lisa said...

Your post made me laugh Holly :) Kira just went through this about 6 months ago. She's grateful for her van now. A couple of other young moms I know have been going through this dilemma as well :) I remember the day we had to break down and get our van. We were cramming three car seats in our little Dodge Omni and we were expecting our 4th. We had no choice and we were dreading it. I ended up loving that van and have loved the other minivans we've had since. You WILL have a big smile on your face. Oh the difference it will make for you!

Sarah said...

Do it my friend, do it! You will be SO glad you did. Trav had to totally talk me into the first one we bought. It took letting go of a lot of pride for me! I even made the people we bought it from take the soccer decal off the back before handing over the check!! When it died last fall, and we had to get another car....I realized I had become the biggest fan of minivans! I didn't even look elsewhere, I just started looking at vans. It took test driving an awesome Armada to seal the deal. I loved that car, but hated watching my kids step on seats to get where they needed to go!! No question, at this time in our lives.....vans are the vehicle that makes the most sense convenience wise. go to forrestmotors.com or randsauto.com Great deals on hondas and other vans!! Good luck! Hope you join the ranks soon!! :)

melanie said...

holly you are so funny. i can see now how a minivan can seem appealing! just don't ever tell jason i said that! :)

Steph said...

*raises hand*

I was NEVER going to have a mini van and now I dream of a Honda Odessey. Sigh.

April said...

I'm so flattered that when you think of a minivan you think of me! I'm now going to put on my 'mom jeans' and go drive the carpool!

No, seriously! I do so love my minivan! I had to talk Jeff into it, and I was mocked by my suv driving mom friends (who, by the way, wanted to secretly put flames on it), but in the end, all the kids love it and think its the coolest EVER!

LeLe said...

That's so funny, I'm actually looking for one for myself right now. I love em!

B said...

You should get a Toyota Sienna...just because those commercials are HILARRRRIOUS!!!!

The Montaño’s said...

All I can say is "Amen" and that I know EXACTLY where you are coming from and what you're talking about... all too well! :)

ChanB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ChanB said...

I didn't know you had so many friends from China! One of my new things is to read sites in other languages using Google translate, so I was curious to see what your friends had to say. The shorter comments are legit comments about your post. The long one is an ad. I agree with your American and Chinese friends, van's are the way to go!

holly said...

haha! really? legit comments? well thank you China!