Monday, August 31, 2009

First day of Kindergarten

Talk about mixed emotions! Part of me thinks it's some form of cruel and unusual punishment to send your oldest to Kindergarten when you're 9 (going on 29) months pregnant, 1.4 weeks away from giving birth. At the same time, I do like the idea of one less voice in the house requesting this and that. I know she'll love going to school and learning, playing, making friends, and I know she'll be wonderful at all of it. It's not that I can't believe I'm old enough to have a kid in school, I'm fine with my age. I'm fine with her being 5.

So why do my eyes keep watering? {sniffle}.

Here's why. Change, good or bad, is never easy, and that's part of it- a lot of change happening in a short period of time, but I think the hardest part is knowing that she's going to get 'owies', or hurt feelings, or just go in those quiet moods, and I'm not going to be there to hold her until it's all better. That's the part of having my Kindergartener grow up that I struggle with. That's life, right?
Well, here she is, loving life as a Kindergartener.
Teah wanted to wear her dress with flowers and brown leggings, and her sandals from Aunt Jill. She wanted her hair in pig tails with a 'headband braid'.

She found her spot at her table, and got busy writing her name.


Her teacher, Mrs. Law, had them fill in these posters, and I loved Teah's answers and artwork. When she grows up she initially put 'a doctor', but after a couple WSU volleyball games, she had to cross out doctor and put (no, not a volleyball player, heaven forbid.) 'a cheerleader'.

















I guess it's NOT okay to have your little sister in your pictures on your big day. Teah wouldn't smile if Havi was near.

7 comments:

Jill said...

k, why am I crying while reading this post and thinking of Teah going to kindergarten, and getting owies and hurt feelings! I love her picture though. Mom with a belly! LOL! She looked adorable! I hope she had a great day!
p.s. LOVE the last picture!haha!

The MontaƱo’s said...

LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have just joined the internet world again and hopefully will blogging agin. LOVE this post. TEAH, big girl!! Good luck and have so much fun in kindergarten!! I know you will!! :)

Karyn said...

Grandma is shedding tears too!!!!

Lisa said...

I'm shedding tears too!! I remember crying when my kids went to kindergarten and 1st grade. I don't have any that young anymore but I was shedding tears last week as we dropped Alex off to college. Then at mutual the other night someone asked me how he was doing and I started crying again and I can't even use the excuse of being 9 months pregnant!! I hate to say it Holly, it never gets easier but it's awfully exciting to watch them grow and learn even when they get those bumps & bruises physically & emotionally along the way. Teah is blessed to have such wonderful parents! She is going to do great and she looks adorable in the pictures :)

Kelsy Alsup said...

awwwwww BOO!!!! i'm so sad, but so happy.
i love havi's little smile. ohhhh i miss these.

ps. LOVE love LOVE the nursery. quote looks uh-MAZING on the wall!

can't wait for the little baby to sleep in there :)

Steph said...

Awwww. Hugs for you. I got all teared up when I drove past our elementary school on the first day of school this week and Mylie still has 361 days til she starts.

Annette's Best Kept Secrets said...

She looks so dang cute! How fun! It's hard when they are gone :(. Hey I wanted to let you know I had to make my blog private. If you e-mail me your e-mail I will add you. Thanks,
Misty